About Shelley Vekasy
1. Name: Shelley Vekasy
2. Age: 28
3. City: Hattiesburg, MS
4. Occupation: Musician!
5. When did you start running? I started running shortly after being diagnosed with Crohn’s disease at 14.
6. Why did you start running?Looking back now, I think that I started running for many different reasons. My mom was always a casual runner, so growing up in the Pacific Northwest there was always a place (and a race) to run. She ran to stay in shape, but when I picked up running it became so much more. Right before I started my running journey I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, which is an inflammatory irritation of the digestive tract that affects my ability to absorb and retain nutrients, electrolytes, and causes me a lot of pain some days. I was told that I should quit running by my doctor at that time, and I knew I had to prove him wrong. Running has helped me overcome depression and a lot of other personal struggles, so I’m very passionate! Little did I know I’d take it so much further than 26.2. I’ve completed over a dozen ultra marathons since then (my longest distance being 42 miles) and my new goal is to run an ultra in all 50 states.
7. Why did you join Eat & Run MS? Well, I’ve been in Hattiesburg, MS for several years now, and after a career change from polymer engineering to music (and regaining my happiness) I started to connect more with the community. I’ve always wanted to use my running to help others, and when I saw a runner friend join Eat & Run MS I knew that I wanted to as well!
8. What is your favorite local place to run? The long leaf trace is the bomb! I love having access to a place to run with water/restroom support and not having to worry about cars!
9. What is your favorite distance to run? The marathon will always be my favorite distance. It’s long enough for me to feel challenged but short enough to be able to use a lot of strategy.
10. What is your favorite race to run? In Mississippi? – big butts. In general? The Rock and Roll Seattle Marathon was my first marathon, so it always holds a special place in my heart, plus, it’s my favorite distance in my favorite place.
11. What is your next running goal? My goal this year is to complete the MS50 (miler)
12. What is your goal mileage for 2020? Goal mileage about 1500 miles
To donate for Shelley’s miles, click here and choose her name in the “Donate for” section